First….What Does Our Pelvic Floor Actually Do?
Our pelvic floor muscles have several major functions, including:
1) Organ Support
Our pelvic floor supports the vagina, cervix, uterus, bladder, urethra, and rectum against gravity and any downward pressure. Weakness can lead to pelvic organ prolapse
2) Bladder and bowel control
These muscles control both the opening of the urethra, where urine comes out, and rectum, where feces and/or gas come out. The pelvic floor muscles prevent leakage of urine, feces, and gas. Incontinence issues can be very common after vaginal delivery but are NOT normal and should be treated immediately.
3) Sexual function
The pelvic floor plays a role in intensity of orgasms, erectile dysfunction, and can also be the cause of painful intercourse.
The pelvic floor is one of four muscle groups making up the inner ‘core’, which stabilizes our pelvis and lower back. Weakness in the pelvic floor muscles can cause back pain.
Problems with any of the above areas can lead to pelvic floor dysfunction. The good news is that pelvic floor dysfunction can be treated through physical therapy. So you don’t have to live with these issues and we can definitely help! This is why we created the Bounce Back After Baby Program
What is the Bounce Back After Baby Program?
Physical therapy should be a part of EVERY mother’s birth plan. Our board certified specialist, Dr. Monica Isola, works with women throughout all stages of pregnancy, postpartum and beyond to bounce back as quickly as possible.
She specializes in:
- Prenatal Rehab
- Postpartum Return to Fitness
- Diastasis Recti & Ab Rehab
- Caesarean Rehab
- 4th Trimester Rehab
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Pelvic Girdle Pain
- Bladder & Bowel Problems
The Bounce Back After Baby Program is for moms, whether they’re 10 days or 10+ years postpartum, to teach them how to restore their pelvic floor and core muscles affected after giving birth.
What does will this program entail?
- Evaluation and assessment of all areas affected during pregnancy and labor including core, pelvic floor muscles, low back, hips, and SI joint
- Patient education on specific issues such as incontinence or diastasis recti
- Pelvic floor and deep abdominal muscle re-training
- Body mechanics review, specific to nursing and lifting/carrying baby
- Individualized home program
What results are you expecting for the post-partum patients?
- This program will help restore muscle function after the nine month “athletic event” of pregnancy and childbirth
- To resolve issues of incontinence
- To address any underlying issues that were caused during pregnancy and/or labor
- For moms to feel in control of their body again
- For moms to feel confident in the steps they need to take to return to their previous activities
If you are ready to get started or to find our more information about our Bounce Back After Baby Program CLICK HERE